Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Thai Coconut Shrimp and Spinach Curry



I was fumbling around my kitchen trying to come up with a quick meal for last minute company when I realized I had all of these ingredients in my fridge and pantry. Well almost I had to use frozen shrimp. Shhhh....This came out really well and so tasty. The sweetness of the coconut milk alone with the spice of the red curry paste is just an amazing flavor. I added spinach to this just because I had it and needed to use it. Normally it would not have spinach in it. Don't be shy or nervous about trying new things, you would be surprised how well they are liked sometimes. 



Ingredients 
1 tsp oil
3 cups baby spinach

1/2 small onion chopped
1 small red bell pepper
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste, use more for extra spicy
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 oz light coconut milk
2 tsp fish sauce
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt to taste



Directions
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add onion, bell pepper and spinach. Cook until spinach wilts. Add red curry paste and sauté one minute. Add shrimp and garlic, season with salt and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk, fish sauce and mix well. Simmer about 2-3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through. Remove from heat, mix in scallion greens and cilantro. Serve over rice 

5 comments:

  1. Mmm you had me at coconut shrimp, this looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can i substitute powdered curry for the curry paste or would the flavors be totally different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curry Powder is more Indian and Paste more Thai. They are two totally different spices. I think they taste totally different. The Thai curry paste has many more spices in it. It's readily available and inexpensive in most stores. You only need a small jar to last a while. I hope this was helpful.

      Delete
  3. The flavors of this dish sound fantastic! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Follow by Email

Instagram


I Thee Cook

I Thee Cook

View my Tasty Kitchen Profile/>

Labels

Appetizer (42) Asian (7) avocado (4) Bacon (19) baking (5) BBQ (20) Beef (33) Bread (15) Breakfast (12) Casserole (10) Cheddar cheese (24) Cheese (48) Chicken (34) Desserts (20) dinner (39) Holidays (17) main course (36) main dish (84) make ahead (1) Meat (1) Mexican (8) mozzarella (15) one dish (5) Pasta (37) Pizza (9) Pork (31) Potato (19) Potatoes (18) Poultry (73) Sandwich (15) Side Dish (52) Slow cooker (11) Soup (16) Tomatoes (4) Turkey (8) Vegetables (34) vegetarian (19)

Search This Blog

Loading...

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved