Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Slow Cooker Cola Beef Stew







This is a flash back post. I have been so busy this week with the kids and school dance work etc.....
And since it was 42 degrees this am when I woke at 5:30; all I could think of was it's slow cooker season!  My favorite time of year!

Yes you read right Cola as in Coca Cola. Who knew!  Cola is the secret ingredient that makes it sweet and savory. A hearty, savory slow cooker stew with potatoes, carrots, celery, stock, herbs and spices.
This a family favorite, I highly recommend giving it a try.  




Ingredients

2 pounds Stew Meat Cut Into 1 Inch Cubes
¼ cups All-purpose Flour
½ teaspoons Salt
½ teaspoons Pepper
1 teaspoon Paprika
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1-½ cup Beef Stock, Divided Use
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup Cola/Soda
2 cloves Garlic, Smashed
1 whole Bay Leaf
1 whole Onion, Chopped
3 whole Potatoes, Cubed
4 whole Carrots, Sliced
2 whole Stalks Celery, Sliced

Preparation Instructions

In a 1 gallon Ziplock bag add flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
Add the cubed beef and shake to coat. Discard remaining flour.
Heat a skillet with some olive oil, add beef and brown on all sides. Remove beef to slow cooker. Add ½ cup of the beef broth to skillet to deglaze then add mixture to slow cooker. (The mixture will be a little thick). Next, on top of the crock pot mixture add the Worcestershire sauce, Cola, garlic, bay leaf, onion, remaining beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery.
Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours. 


12 comments:

  1. I like that you brown the meat first, so often slow cooker meals just throw every thing in the cooker. I am always intrigued by recipes that have soda as an ingredient. This looks tender, rich and delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tasted meat with Coca Cola but it sort of makes sense. The cola is sweet and so is the red wine I usually use and both would help tenderize. It looks delicious and probably is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coke is a great substitute for someone who doesn't use alcohol like wine in their cooking. Thanks for sharing this unique stew on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Diane. Thanks for hosting!

      Delete
  4. I am SOO ready for fall foods! I am printing this, thanks for sharing at Weekend Potluck!
    ~Tonya from 4 little Fergusons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to! Thanks Tonya have a great week.

      Delete
  5. Wish I would have seen this sooner...I just made stew for us yesterday! Guess I will be trying it this way next time! Thanks so much for linking up at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok! I hope you try it. Have a great week!

      Delete
  6. That sounds amazing!

    I'd love it if you would link this (and a couple other recipes if you'd like) up to Wonderful Food Wednesday at: http://www.athometake2.com. I hope you can stop by.

    Jessica @ At Home Take 2

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks SO good! And my husband is a Coca-Cola addict so he will love this! Definitely trying this one when the weather gets a little cooler here. Pinning and sharing to my Facebook page. :)
    Thank you so much for joining the #CrockPotWeek link party!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Follow by Email

Instagram


I Thee Cook

I Thee Cook

View my Tasty Kitchen Profile/>

Labels

Appetizer (42) Asian (7) avocado (4) Bacon (19) baking (5) BBQ (20) Beef (33) Bread (16) Breakfast (12) Casserole (10) Cheddar cheese (24) Cheese (48) Chicken (34) Desserts (20) dinner (39) Holidays (17) main course (36) main dish (84) make ahead (1) Meat (1) Mexican (8) mozzarella (15) one dish (5) Pasta (37) Pizza (9) Pork (31) Potato (19) Potatoes (18) Poultry (73) Sandwich (15) Side Dish (52) Slow cooker (11) Soup (16) Tomatoes (4) Turkey (8) Vegetables (34) vegetarian (19)

Search This Blog

Loading...

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved